2022 Summer Chinese American History Internship
The Chinese Historical Society of Southern California (CHSSC) is proud to announce its 2022 Summer Internship in Chinese American community history. We seek high school and college students as well as recent graduates to work on our Five Chinatowns community oral history project, which documents the five Chinese American communities that existed in Los Angeles during the period before 1965.
Summer interns will work in a cohort learning from community elders under the guidance of college faculty with expertise in Asian American history. Intern duties will include conducting interviews, transcribing interviews, clearing existing transcripts, and producing edited transcripts for publication. Interns will receive a $2000 stipend upon successful conclusion of the ten-week program and a public presentation to the CHSSC in September. All interns will work under the guidance of Dr. William Gow (Asian American Studies, CSU Sacramento), Dr. Kelly Fong (Asian American Studies, UCLA), and Dr. Isabela Quintana, (Asian American Studies, UC Irvine). All meetings and research will be conducted virtually. Interns are not required to physically be in Los Angeles. Chinese language ability is not required.
- Meet for 10 weeks over the summer of 2022 from June 20th to August 26th.
- Attend a one-hour virtual meeting per week with the intern cohort and project directors.
- Conduct 10 hours of related research per week.
- Interns must take part in a virtual presentation to the CHSSC general membership on the evening of September 7th.
- Interns will receive a $2000 dollar stipend at completion of both the internship and presentation at the September meeting.
- Applications are due March 15th, 2022.
- Questions? Email both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com